Hi beautiful ones! 🙂 Today’s post is near and dear to my heart because it’s about skincare! My love hate relationship with my skin has been ongoing since about 7th grade and continues to change every single day. Story of anyone else’s life? As any performer knows, the skin we are in is important. Our body is our instrument, Amiright?! After battling years of ups and downs with my skin, I know how both the mind and spirit can be affected when our body feels out of whack, including our skin.
There are a million and one reasons our skin reacts negatively (or positively!). The biggest cause of problem skin for me is actually stress. And what does a bad breakout do… more stress. Yep, the vicious cycle. I’ve been on just about every medication you can take for skin problems and probably tried every natural and unnatural remedy out there. Some days my face is crystal clear and other days I am grateful for the makeup gods. I’ve discovered that the most important way to be proactive (not the product haha didn’t work for me!) is to develop a solid foundation for self-care including a skincare regime that is Fit for Broadway!
The Fit for Broadway lifestyle is super active, busy, & requires tons of energy— all of which contribute to how our skin looks and feels. If I’ve learned one thing in the last year, it’s how to take care of myself- mind, body, and spirit. I feel most balanced when I’m eating clean foods, using pure ingredients on my body, and keeping my mind, body & spirit healthy through activities like working out, meditation, singing, and spending time with loved ones. In an ideal world, we’d all live in our perfect balance but truth is, most of us experience the wave called life causing all sorts of reactions in our bodies. Finding a solid and efficient skincare routine every day can be one of the best foundations of self-care so the day is focused on living Fit for Broadway, not skin problems.
A few months ago I came across a skincare line called Haus Urban that is specifically made for performers. READ: SKINCARE FOR THE FIT FOR BROADWAY LIFESTYLE. #ImInLove #skincareheaven With products like “Headshot” and “Super Swing”, Haus Urban tailors the products for the special needs of performers. It gets better…Haus Urban only uses all-natural, pure as can be, best of the best ingredients. My skin has never been happier and I don’t remember the last time I was this excited to share a brand with you guys. It’s literally made for us. 🙂
Note from Hassan (the genius, creator of Haus Urban!): “I grew up in a home heavily influenced by the arts and by skincare. My parents were both really talented athletes (Mom was a dancer/cheerleader, and Dad was a singer/boxer). It also helped that my Mom is the unofficial Queen of bath and body products, and my Dad was a fragrance enthusiast so I think I picked a lot of it up through reverse osmosis. More than anything, skincare was taught as a matter of hygiene, not just vanity. I was well into my acting career in Los Angeles, when I had a freak accident that left me partially paralyzed for the better part of a year. While I made a full recovery, it was in rehearsal for a musical that my joints and my skin began freaking out. I began searching out products that would provide relief, wasn’t loaded with chemicals and were relatively natural. I found nothing, so I started making products for myself, then my cast mates, and then the world.”
The routine you stick to daily is going to be the one you don’t have to think about, which is why Hassan created the About Face 3 Step System. If you can pick up an eight count or touch step for that matter, this will be a breeze.
1. Cleanse: Iconic Creme Cleanser
It all starts and ends with a clean face. The Iconic Creme Cleanser contains high concentrations of organic coconut oil and organic jojoba oil which is perfect for cleansing (especially if you’re prone to having oilier skin). These are hydrophilic oils, which means they act like a magnet to attach to the bad oil (and dirt, and sweat, and sebum, and makeup) to pull it out of your pores. Bonus: It’s super hydrating so no post wash “tight face”! I also use this as a mask sometimes. 5-10 min. & wham bam bam, ready for my close up!
2. Tone: Double Time Facial Toner
Hassan filled me in on the importance of toner (a step I usually miss!) Most of us don’t know that we need a toner or exactly why. Essentially, a toner functions to make sure that our face is actually clean and free of anything a cleanser may have missed (or excess cleanser that you missed in the rinse). Think of it as the Dance Captain of your routine. It’s also a gentle daily exfoliator so it eliminates the need for harsh scrubs which can create small cuts in the skin.
3. Moisturize: Headshot Hydrating Serum
Lastly, serum! Who knew this was the button of our skincare regime? Did ya know?!… Most of our cellular turnover happens when we’re sleeping, particularly the cells that support collagen which gives skin that firm, supple look and feel. A serum delivers a “green smoothie” level of antioxidants and skin nourishing botanicals that will restore elasticity and fight the signs of aging. While the serum is powerful on it’s own (especially at night), you can mix it in with your daily moisturizer for extra hydration. Pro Tip: Mix 1-2 drops with your favorite liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer for that audition glow. 😉
Skincare Problems of the Fit for Broadway lifestyle & the solution…
- Problem: Most of the cosmetics made for stage use are heavily pigmented and super oily. Then, after having that cake baked into your face under hot lights for hours, mixed with sweat, day after day. That’s enough to make anyone’s skin go crazy! Solution: Haus Urban
- Problem: Most people in a show get home, grab a wipe that’s soaked in alcohol and sulfates, haphazardly wipe off the makeup and fall asleep. It’s the perfect recipe for disaster. Solution: Haus Urban
- Problem: When you’re on tour, you miss all the creature comforts of home and are in constant change. Solution: Haus Urban
- Problem: None of the major brands have looked at the skincare needs of the performing community. Unnatural ingredients can lead to longterm implications. Solution: Haus Urban
“You can’t go to the gym for your face.”
-Hassan, founder of Haus Urban
And finally… my favorite part of this brand!! The ingredients are PURE!!
Super Swing is quickly becoming Broadway’s best keep secret (especially among swings!). It’s some of the best that nature has to offer all in one jar, to help you recover quickly. #itsdivine #nomoreachesandpains
“SUPER SWING MUSCLE SOAK” INGREDIENTS:
- Himalayan Pink Sea Salt: These gorgeous pink minerals aren’t just pretty, they pack a punch. Himalayan pink salt is known to increase hydration, prevent muscle cramping, lower blood pressure, and regulate water content both inside and outside of cells.
- Dead Sea Salt: The force is strong with this one. Dead sea salt contains potassium to energize the body, bromides to relax muscles, sodium for lymphatic fluid balance, and magnesium to calm the nervous system.
- Marjoram Oil: Soothes tired, stressed muscles and supports the cardiovascular system.
- Ravensara Oil: A rare essential oil farmed from a tree in Madagascar, it eliminates pain, calms excessive sweating, and aids soreness in pained muscles.
- Lemongrass Oil: Boosts energy, reduces fever, kills germs, and alleviates abdominal pain.
- Basil: Promotes mental alertness, assists with clear breathing, soothes sore joints, fights anxiety.
- Peppermint: Increases blood circulation and boost immune system, eliminates nausea and headache.
Hassan on the mind, body, spirit approach to skincare…
“Everything we do: What we wear, what we eat, who we hang out with, where we travel, is all motivated by how it is that we want to feel. I approach every new product I develop that way. Aside from the science and the health benefits, it’s always “How should this person feel once they’ve used this?”. It’s an important step because Haus Urban is about more than skincare, it’s about self care. If we’re to be honest, the only guaranteed “Me” time any of us get is when we’re in the bathroom. That time is sacred, so I want to arm people with the tools to maximize that time and really enjoy it. If you’ve succeeded at nothing else, you’ve earned that. Unplug. Soak. Primp. Moisturize. Pick you!” -Hassan
As someone who’s battled problem skin, I would cringe if someone calculated the amount of money I’ve spent on products over the last 10 years. If you’re anything like me, you get a breakout and suddenly you’ve spent enough money to see Hamilton (twice.) on every spot treatment that’s ever been made and enough concealers to cover your entire body until you’re 90. It’s no joke. Skincare gets expensive, but it doesn’t have to be when you’re investing in the right products.
A few reasons Haus Urban is worth the investment and affordable for longterm gain!
- Hassan broke it down for me… “It’s a numbers game. I hear all the time that “X” product only has 1% paraben, or 3% mineral oil, or whatever gross preservative or endocrine disruptor is in there, but here’s the thing: The average American woman uses 13 products a day, every day. You multiply that 1% by 13 products, every day for 20+ years, and suddenly you’ve found a lump somewhere. It’s frightening. Yes, natural products are more expensive, but how much is your health worth? You pay now, or you pay later, but either way you pay.”
- Hassan advised me to live by the 80/20 rule. If 80% of what we use is naturally derived or a cleaner formulation, then we have some room for that other product that is nothing but chemicals that you can’t live without. Balance is key.
- Being a performer is all about longevity. You wouldn’t do a two hour show without warming up your voice and your body, so why neglect the largest organ on your body? What we put on our skin (and ultimately into our blood stream) affects us daily. More isn’t always better. You have to find out what works for you and stick with it.
I don’t bring a lot of products onto the blog unless I’m seriously passionate about them and as you can tell, to say I’m passionate about Haus is an understatement. #addict Hassan is sharing an awesome *jazz hands* discount code with the Fit for Broadway family!! 🙂
Visit HAUS URBAN & ENTER: “FFBFAM” at checkout to receive 20% OFF your orders.
Enter the Giveaway!! >> Winner will be chosen on February 1st 🙂 just in time to show your skin some L.O.V.Eeeeee.
FB, Twitter, IG, Snapchat: @HausUrban